Friday, November 10, 2006

Stay or Leave?


Believe me, sometimes it's just too hard to make a decision. There are always pros and cons on each decision that we are going to make. And most the time, we just can't make the decision base on our own preference, there are many things need to be taken into consideration.

I never like to make decision. I'm fickle minded, indecissive. Or I should say, I'm not firm enough with the decision I'm going to make, I always need people to support my decision, though in deep of my heart, I know what should I opt for.

Before joinning the project in Miri, actually I was engaged with another project in KL. The initial agreement between the project manager in Miri and the team lead in KL project is that I will be " on loaned" to Miri project for about 6 months, and I am supposed to return to the KL project to December.

I received an email from my team lead in KL project last few days, asking when is my return date as December is approaching. It was a good news for me as I always prefer to go back to KL, Miri is just too boring for me. I am tired with flying in and out over the weekend, I hate taking flight.

Yeah, I am going back to civilisation, that was what I thought. That's what I'm always waiting for.

But the project manager in Miri project would prefer if I could roll off from KL project and roll in Miri project, as he is having some resources problem.

Miri or KL?

I have to made a decision.

For sure, my preference is to go back to KL. But on the other hand, I have a better role in Miri project, there are many opportunities given to me to outshine myself, to show my abilities. As the same time, I am going to due for promotion next year, if I extend my stay in Miri project, it's going to help me much in the promotion. But if I decide to stay, most likely I have to stay till end of the project, about March 2008, which I am unwilling to. I miss home, my family, my friends and so many things in KL.

What should I choose? My career or self comfort and preference? I have to decide, I am forced to.

To stay or leave?

4 comments:

Autumn Moth said...

I don't intend to give you any answer. That would only add to your confusion. But I guess (and hope) my 2 cents worth of opinion doesn't hurt :)

You raised up the issue because you're already subconsciously telling yourself - that you stand a better chance in Miri and it is definitely worth a try - You just have to overcome your heart.

If you're a practical person, I'd say go with the mind and thoughts.

Likewise if you're person of emotion, just follow your heart.

Look at it at a further distance and in a bigger picture.. both will eventually leads you to the same direction. Its just a matter of time for all the promotion and recognization of your performance.

Bear in mind, with 2 options in hand, You will regret later, making either one of the decision. So instead of looking at such a grey situation, why not twist it around and look at it at a brighter corner?

In another perspective, whichever decision you made brings no harm but pleasure in finding what you want to look for, achieve and aim for - thats what matters most.

Remember, that never one is perfect and better than the other. You don't scale your friends and family with your job. This is no trading nor a business. Human are odd creatures... sometime you just have to trust your gut feeling, instinct, intuition to guide you through a dilemma.

You stand for what feels good at the moment. Nevermind all external factors - they should never be included in your decision making.

Aileen said...

your friend-autumn moth has a good analytical mind :P

moonlight said...

" A life spent making mistakes is not only more Honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

My friend you facing problem to choose the best decision, bcoz you don't want to choose the wrong decision and make mistake in your career life. But sometimes life is like that, when you gain something you will lose something.

Juz like your friend-autumn said we cant give you the best answer.But as friend I will support your decision. You must listen to your wisdom and your heart...

If you dont like to stay at Miri ,dont force urself. I believe everday in our life have miracle and opportunities. You are a excellent and briliant person, no matter which decision you choose I believe you still can develop ur career.

zhixing said...

Hello,

Thanks for all the useful 2 cents worth (2-metre-long)advice/thought/opinion.

Actually I have made my decision before posting this article.

What is my decision? Wait for my latest posting ya :)

cheers,
ZX