Monday, November 13, 2006

Negotiation


Willing or not, I have to make a decision, the best decision for myself.

I sent an email to my career counselor and ask for her advice, I chatted with my project mates via messenger to get their opinions, I had a long conversation with my supervisor over the phone to share with him my thoughts and asked for his ideas, I discussed with my friends .......

"You should stay!" some said. " If I were you I will choose to back for good!!" he said. Some of them have given me a very definite answer while some have helped me to clear up my mind by listing down the pro and con for each of the decision that I'm going to make and some have shared with me their experiences.

After getting so many opinions and feedback, I determined my PRIORITY, listed down my preference and concerns and my bottom line for the compromising. Then it led me to the negotiation with the project manager.

" I have spoken to P ( my team led in KL project), he is requesting me to return to the project as the intial agreement between you and him is that I am suppose to stay in this project until December. Now it's the time." I started the conversation.

The project manager, Y, said nothing but replied me a smile. Then I continued, " P told me that you are requesting him to let me to stay in this project till March, the first roll out of this project. But this is going to bring him some problems to plan for the team resources, as the work loads to the team is getting heavier, and he can't just let me be away from the project for so long. Hence, he is trying to be fair to me, asking if I would prefer to return or stay."

Y said nothing again, giving me chance to finished my words. I continued again, " My preference is definitely going back to KL, if you ask me to stay in this project project till March 2008, it sounds impossible to me, and I don't think I will be willing to do so. I understand that you are having some resources problem and I also feel that I have the commitment to this project. I I can't just leave the project though I can."

"Actually what the reason you prefer to go back to the KL project? You prefer the job scopes in the project?" Y asked.

"I would say I like both projects, the main reason P refer to go back to KL is because I dont' like Miri. Flying in and out over the weekend is just too tiring. I know sometime I just can't make the decision base on my self preference, many things have to be taken into account. And this is giving me some hard time, so I hope that at the end of our discussion, we can come out with a decision that is going to benefit the project and myself as well."

" Yes, I agree."

It was in my expectation that Y did not say much, he knew that nothing he can say, to convience me to stay. I am the one to make the call. Actually I do not mind to stay in the Miri project, I have somehow decided, but I need something that makes my stay worthy. And this is the purpose of this discussion ( negotiation?).

" What do you think about my role in this project if I were to choose to extend my stay?"

" So far, you are doing well, I can see that you are performing, and I think you will get promoted in the coming promotion period. Our project team is not as large as the KL project. In KL project, you do not work directly under the project manager, If the boss wants to know about your performance, the project manager has to go and get the feedback from your manager or supervisor, this involved many levels of people. But in our project, I always observe your performance. Later when come to promotion, I can talk a lot about your contribution, I can support your promotion directly."

(BINGO!!! This is what I'm waiting for. Im gonna quote what you have just said!! )

"Ok. Seriously, I do not wish to stay until the end of this project. I don't mind to stay a bit longer. What do you think? When is the best time for me to roll off from this project. Then you can have enough time to plan for the transition, make sure there is someone to take over my task. Maybe the first roll out or the second roll out in June?"

" The second roll out is about July... "

"July? I thought it's June!" I interupted.

"Eh, it should be end of June of early of July" Y explained " During the second roll out, perhaps you don't have to involve some much on the onsite couching, and I can plan for the transition"

"But, I am taking a risk, actually. What if during that time, there are no other new projects, then I will be stuck in the project till March 2008"

" We can always plan for it. Actually the reason why I stay in this project is because there are no other challenging projects that I am interested. This projects give me more opportunies to sell more things to the client."

"Eh... If my luck is that bad, then I have to sacrify myself to the project loh!"

"Hahaha.." we both laughed.

At the end of the discussion, we have come to an agreement - - I am going to extend my stay in Miri project.

After the discussion with Y, I did a summary, kept everything down in an email. And then send the email to him and copied my career counselor. I even bold, underline, put in red the agreed roll out date July 2007 . I should keep everything down black and white.

Finally I have made a decision that I believe it is going to help in my career development. I am career-minded. I always believe that young man like me should be more focus on career, earn more money as I can while I am still young. And, oh, my dream! To buy a condo by end of next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! you have a career advisor, so good. I also need an advisor hahaha...

I believe you will find your way out in whatever you face, still young and enthusiastic ma...unlike me old already hahah...

btw, you can view my blog at www.light-n-easy-aileen.blogspot.com

zhixing said...

that's my company system, we have manager or senior manager to be our career counselor, they are helping us to develop our career in the company.

visiting ur blog, quite nice, keep up ur good works ya ...

cheers,
ZX